Monday, April 18, 2011

Renaissance Man

This is a busy week in Colorado providing something for every one. Donald Glover, aka Childish Gambino, aka mcDJ, aka Troy from Community is playing The Fox tonight in Boulder. First thing first, no Donald Glover is not related to Danny Glover. Childish Gambino is Donald Glover's rap name. If you don't know who Donald Glover is I would start by watching Community where he plays Troy. The cast of Community is stacked with Joel McHale (The Soup), Chevy Chase (Caddyshack), Ken Jeong (The Hangover), Danny Pudi, Alison Brie (Mad Men), Gillian Jacobs, and Yvette Nicole Brown. This show is hilarious and one I definitely follow. Donald Glover has blown up since being discovered by Tina Fey. First writing for 30 Rock, then Community, followed by a Comedy Central stand-up special, he is now touring the country on his rap tour.

The issue with most comedians trying to rap is that you can't take them serious or their lyrics have no meaning. Don't get me wrong I still feel Eddie Murphy's "Party All The Time," is the jam but he is the exception. Remember Nick Cannon? Always wild'n'out before marrying Mariah Carey? Surprisingly enough he started his career in the rap game. I'm not surprised his game imploded though, you can't tell a girl they're a "Dime Piece," only to let them know your a "Gigolo," then be surprised that "Your Pops Don't Like Me." Good thing Mariah keeps him on a short leash.



Childish Gambino brings the flow with hot lyrics and some pretty great analogies. Here is his new EP that features my favorite song "Freaks and Geeks." This song is my favorite and there are so many hilarious lines I had to write a few out.
"Fly girl on her knees she don't wana come near me yeah my dick is too big there's a big bang theory."
"Love is a trip but fucking is a sport, are there asian girls here? Minority report."
"Chillin' with my n words, say it like a white kid, yes your booty big as hers, say it to my white bitch, so she don't get embarrassed... My dick is made of carrots, bunnies wana be fed it, I meant hunnies o forget it."
The best part is that if you watch Community you know Troy is the nerdy athlete who probably couldn't get through half of the line without giggling. Donald Glover is on a mission to conquer the world and he is well on his way doing it his own way. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment