Friday, August 13, 2010

The Highest Mainstream Festival in the Country

Tomorrow is the first day of the third annual Mile High Music Festival. This is a two-day event that is held at the Dick’s Sporting Good Park. Being nine miles northeast of Denver you could say it’s our backyard making it a great opportunity to get a plethora of music. I personally attended the first MHMF in 2008 and had a great time. I didn’t think the venue was spectacular but it’s not bad either. The line-up was well rounded with moe., Lupe Fiasco, Steve Winwood, Michael Franti & Spearehead, Tom Petty, and Dave Matthews Band. They definitely try to bring in the masses with mainstream acts and this year is no different.

On Saturday I will be focusing on the Kyocera main stage and cougar stage, which is convenient because they’re right next to each other. Doubtful I make it for the opening act but The Motet at noon is definitely kicking the festival off on the right foot. Realistically my first show will be Donavon Frankenreiter one of Jack Johnson’s surf buddies turned musician. Definitely a good way to get the afternoon’s carefree summer vibe going. After that I will see a band that I have enjoyed for many years and painfully missed at Wakarusa, Animal Liberation Orchestra (ALO). If they play “Shapeshifter,” I will be extremely pleased. I’ve got to then mix it up and get a little hip-hop in my life from some titans of the game, Nas and Damien “Jr. Gong” Marley at the main stage. Back to the cougar stage then for Keller Williams who I remember seeing for the first time when I was 14 opening for Béla Fleck and the Flecktones during their Acoustic Planet Tour and being blown away. This guy is literally is a one-man band and does it all. I could go on about him but this is about the festival. A true summer classic going back to my under aged days at Ravinia is the Steve Miller Band. With a greatest hits playlist for their concert one can always walk away happy. A difficult decision then has to be made whether to go to Slightly Stoopid or Phoenix. Personally I’ve seen Stoopid enough where I can afford to miss their show. With Phoenix being a trendy new mainstream band will it be filled with losers? Most likely. Will there still be a lot of talent? Absolutely. To end the night on some feel good music will be Jack Johnson. I am going to call out the potential Dave sit in or visa versa with Jack.

Sunday I’m looking forward to seeing a band I first discovered at Lollapalooza 2005 playing the set break for Widespread Panic. Drive-By-Truckers is a southern rock band making their own modern fist pumping blues driven rock that will take you back to the days of the real Lynyrd Skynyrd. From there I have to see my buddies Boombox who don’t fit an afternoon spot but hey I like them so I’m going anyways. From there is my most anticipated show of the weekend, My Morning Jacket. I am ready to feel that early evening mountain breeze and Jim James sweet vocals just flowing through the air. This band can fill Madison Square Garden so you know the crowd is going to be large and rocking. Atmosphere is playing at the same time and will be a nice alternative for those looking for something different. The next time slot is my biggest disappointment of the schedule. Having to choose between Bassnectar, Railraod Earth, and Weezer. Weezer was my favorite band in eighth grade so I would love nothing more to hear some “Undone (The Sweater Song),” or “Say It Ain’t So.” Railroad Earth is hands down my favorite bluegrass band with great lyrics and drums, they can’t be beat. But in order to get my whommmmp dosage I will be raging at Bassnectar. The end of the festival culminates with Dave Matthews Band. A repeat of 2008 but hey he killed it then with a cover of “Sledgehammer,” and their last studio album, Big Whiskey & The Groogrux King was a hit with critics and fans a like. He’s not my favorite but at one point and time in my life I probably said he was so I’ll go and remember those days and just soak in the final moments of what hopes to be a great festival.

For those of you in the San Francisco area this weekend hit up Outside Lands Festival. There are many of the same acts as MHMF just on opposite days and a whole lot of even better artists. Phish is also playing the beloved Alpine Valley and I’m sure that will be a good time as well. Have a good weekend and keep an eye out for me if you're at Mile High Music Festival because you know where I’ll be.

1 comment: